In the context of EV charging, dynamic load management (or DLM) refers to optimizing a property's charging loads so that a) electricity is evenly distributed to all the EVs that are charged simultaneously and b) charging happens at a full volume whenever there's enough capacity.
Installing a couple of charging points doesn't typically have a huge impact on the electricity infrastructure of a building. However, larger installations often require a little bit of smart charging magic. And that's where dynamic load management comes in.
Consider providing charging for 20 electric cars in the garage of a residential or commercial building with 22 kW plugs (3 x 32 A, charging speed 100 km/h). This would require the building to get a 3 x 640 A electricity connection — costing you tens of thousands of euros.
However, with dynamic load management you don't have to spend a dime on expensive construction work, and you can effectively manage the property's energy consumption.
How does dynamic load management work in practice?
Let's take our own Dynamic Load Management solution as an example:
- Create groups of your charging points on Virta Management System.
- Set a maximum total charging load for the selected group of charging stations.
- Now the system controls the charging power of each individual charging point automatically based on the maximum load you have set for the group.
The benefits of dynamic load management
Using DLM from the cloud brings the charging infrastructure owner several benefits :
- Restricting the total charging load protects the local grid — eliminate a risk of overloading even when multiple chargers are being used simultaneously
- Sharing the charging load cuts costs for the required electricity connection
- No physical wiring between the devices — no extra infrastructure or installation costs
Virta's DLM solution works with almost any smart charging device. Devices need to be connected to Virta smart EV charging platform through a GPRS connection using the Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP).
Psst! If you're interested in learning more about our back-end solutions, download our free guide today.